This is such a fun and simple Build Your Own. Lunches can be a bit tricky when we are trying to juggle so many things in a day but its so important we take time to have a nutritious lunch in order to keep energy levels high throughout the day.
All you need is a large wide mouth mason jar, a noodle or rice base, flavour or stock, and veggies, beans or whatever you want!
Here is how it works:
1. Start by choosing what you want your base to be such as uncooked rice noodles, cooked pasta, cooked rice or grain of choice.
2. Pick your veggies, protein, etc. Tip: chop veggies up small because the hot water will not be enough to cook them. Add easy proteins like chickpeas and lentils!
3. Choose your flavour or soup stock
4. Layer ingredients in the jar. Put the flavour at the bottom then the veggies or base depending on what you choose. If you have kelp noodles place them at the bottom with a little water, if you have cooked pasta or uncooked rice noodles, add them to the top.
5. Put in the fridge at work and let unthaw for about 10-15 minutes
6. Boil some water and add to jar
Keep reading for some recipe ideas!
Classic Rice Noodle Soup Jar
1 tbsp miso paste
1/2 clove of garlic minced
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 spiralized zucchini
1/2 spiralized pepper
1/4 -1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup rice noodles (uncooked)
Layer in that order. Add hot water and let sit for 5 minutes until noodles soften.
Taco Soup Jar
1/2 cup cooked rice mixed with 1/2 cup of vegetable broth or natural seasonings of choice
1/2 cooked black beans mixed with 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
1/4 cup mushroom, diced
Layer in that order. Add hot water, mix and enjoy
Raw Kelp Noodle Soup
1/2 - 1 cup raw kelp noodles
1/4 zucchini, spiralized
2 radish, sliced
1/4 cup broccoli, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot sticks or peeled carrot
Sauce: tamari, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup (combine)
Add a bit of water at the bottom of the jar to keep the kelp noodles moist. Also add a 1/4 cup of the sauce above. Then add the rest of the ingredients in order. Add hot water when ready. Enjoy immediately.
Want to stay up to date on my latest blog posts, recipes and events? Sign up for my newsletter here!